Sunday, October 25, 2009

"Red Rover, Red Rover, This Game is Over!!"


Reading about the game “Red Rover” I was stunned when I heard what it consists of. The fact that kids run at other kids at full speed can never lead to something good, and the fact it was played in a school setting startled me. Even being a Football and Lacrosse player my whole life and constantly being in rough hard hitting games I think this is uncalled for in a Physical Education setting. Not only do I think this game is dangerous I also agree with the reasons it is in the “Hall of Shame”. During the game there is two teams evenly matched. One side link's arms and the opposing team waits. The team whos arms are linked would pick a student from the other team to come on over. That student had to run as fast as they could to break a link between any two opposing team members. Most of the time during the game you are standing there holding hands for 15 minutes. This game teaches nothing about Physical activity.
One thing I don’t agree with is the fact of how they say some of these “Shame Games” single people out and lower kids self esteem. I think it is good to teach kids about competition. Not only is competition a critical part in Physical Activity, and sports it is a critical aspect in life. When these kids enter the real world they will realize not everyone is going be a winner, and sometimes it takes losing to realize that. It’s a harsh but true reality of how the world is, and the sooner they learn this the better they can adapt.

No comments:

Post a Comment